In Tanzania we drive the Toyota Landcruiser Hardtop.
Take note that our vehicles are well maintained but NOT new, so the driving comfort and quality of the audio or A/C is not comparable to a new car you might drive at home or have rented in Southern Africa, where the roads tend to be in better condition and are very accommodating for self-drive, therefore putting much less wear and tear on the vehicles. The Landcruisers you see in Tanzania are made for the bush.
Read our specification sheet and know what to expect when renting a car from Roadtrip Africa.
- Model: Toyota Landcruiser Hardtop 75/78
- Year of Manufacture: 1997 - 2008
- Capacity: six window seats. When camping, the vehicle can accommodate 4 persons with camp gear and luggage.
- Gearbox: manual
- Engine: 1HZ 6 cylinder engine
- Tank capacity: 2x 80 Litre
- Fuel consumption: 7-8 km /L.
- 4Wheel Drive: Differs per vehicle. How to engage the 4WD is explained in the practical information booklet in your vehicle. Having a Landcruiser with diff lock is rare. Note that we have disconnected the diff lock in all our Landcruisers. The standard 4x4 is strong enough.
- Spare tyres: 2
- Tyre pressure: depending on number of people and load, 3.0 PSI in the front and 3.5 PSI in the back. You don’t need to do anything further with this. The tyre pressure comes well adjusted.
The interior and tools
- Pop up roof: yes, or 2 roof hatches, one in the front and one in the back row seat. The pop up roof can’t be used anymore when a rooftop tent is mounted.
- Inverter: no
- Water tank: no
- A/C: no
- Radio with small speakers and USB and audio port. Bring your own audio cable to play music from your phone.
- Boot: the boot is small. We advise to pack your luggage in soft duffle bags as they pack easier than suitcases. If your travel group is six, you will store some bags between the seats inside the car. In case you go camping, the vehicle can accommodate 4 persons with camp gear and luggage. We take out the 5th and 6th seat to create extra space.
- Tools: wheel spanner, towing rope, jumper cables, high-lift jack, shuffle, fire extinguisher, reflector triangles, first aid kit, Bradt Travel Guide, roadmap, Roadtrip Tanzania's practical information manual.
Do you want to go on a self-drive adventure in Tanzania? Check availability and secure your car rental by filling out the bookings form here.