Camping gear rental with Roadtrip Kenya
Whether you are on a budget, love the bush, or just don't want to have to book your accommodation in Kenya ahead of time... roadtripping with a full set of camping gear in the back of your rental car gives you all the freedom you need for a true safari adventure in Kenya.
We can equip your 4x4 car with a standard rooftop tent ( sleeps 2), family rooftop tent ( sleeps 2 adults and 2 children), or you can hire a dome tent ( sleeps 2 adults). The costs are € 25 for the standard and € 30 for the family roof top tent, or € 5 per person / per day for the dome tent.
What is included when hiring camp gear from Roadtrip Kenya?
- Tent (dome tent or rooftop tent)
- Folding foam mattresses
- Blanket or sleeping bag, pillows and bedsheets
- Table and chairs
- Cool box (not electrical)
- Gas tank & burner, BBQ roaster
- RVS cups, plates & bowls
- Cooking pots, frying pans
- Cutlery set with forks, knives, spoons, can opener, cork screw
- Coffee percolator
- Cutting board
- Dish towel, detergent, washing line & pegs
- Headlights and solar table lamp
Fancy a cold beer on your safari? Rent an electrical fridge ( 55L). Our cars have a dual battery, so the fridge can also cool when the engine is not running.
What to take on safari - ground tent or rooftop tent?
Taking a rooftop tent or a dome tent with your rental car both have advantages and disadvantages and there are a few factors that will determine which one will work best for YOU.
The pro's & con's of a rooftop tent
A rooftop tent is the easiest way to sleep off the ground. This is helpful when your campsite is uneven, the soil is wet or rocky. In wilderness areas, people tend to prefer rooftop tents for putting some distance between themselves and wild animals lurking around at night. However, this is a FALSE sense of security and you will be just as safe in a ground tent that is properly zipped up. Although we understand that perception of safety plays a role here as well….
- You feel safer, which is an argument if you camp inside a game park. Yet, many beautiful campsites are nowadays privately owned sites outside of the safari parks.
- Rooftop tents are quick and easy to set up ( although the ground tents are also set up in a blink of an an eye).
- You need to wrap up your rooftop tent every time you want to use your vehicle.
- Hiring a rooftop tent is more expensive than the ground tent, and requires going with a Landcruiser.
- How is your mobility? For rather stiff people, getting up and down the stepladder of a rooftop tent can be uneasy.
Why you should go camping in Kenya
Lodges inside the National Parks in Kenya are expensive. Good to know that Kenya is a great country for camping safaris! Campsites are widely available in Kenya, so it is possible to explore Kenya on a budget. From basic bush campsites inside the parks to private campsites operated by lodge owners - the latter enabling you to stay at a secured site with good amenities whilst sleeping for a dime. Moreover, the opportunities to camp are year round because of Kenya's warm climate.
Campsites do not require any advance arrangements - most of them can't even be booked in advance. Refer to our accommodation page for a list of our favorite campsites in Kenya. Also, the Lonely Planet guide that comes with your Roadtrip Kenya rental car has detailed and up-to-date information about most campsites in Kenya.
The Top 5 best campsites in Kenya
There are many nice campsites in Kenya. We love to hear from you too in case there is a place you particularly liked. The below campsites are among our favourite places to camp:
1. Oloololo Public Campsite in the middle of the Masai Mara Triangle
2. Malakai Public Campsite in Lake Nakuru National Park near the waterfalls and next to the southern shore where the Rhinos can be seen.
3. Sandai Farm is the perfect base if you are looking for an affordable campsite to visit places like Ol Pejeta, Solio Game Reserve or Aberdare National Park. They also have rooms.
4. The River Special Campsite or Isiolo River Campsite at Buffalo Springs National Reserve is a perfect wilderness camp, with shady trees, close to the (action packed) river and absolutely no facilities.
5 Cheetah Campsite in Lumo Wildlife Community Sanctuary - call in advance so they can prepare for your arrival. You'll wake up with magnificent views over the hills.