Visa and insurance

Can I buy a tourist visa on arrival for my roadtrip in Kenya?

Do I need to get a visa to enter Kenya? 

Yes, you need a tourist visa to enter Kenya. You can easily arrange this online here. Apply at least 3 days in advance of arrival. A tourist visa for East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda) costs USD $100 and allows you to freely move between these countries. If you are working in East Africa, and you have a valid work permit, special pass or the like, you can freely cross the border.

Can I cross the border with my rental car?

Yes, it is possible to cross the border to Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda in a Roadtrip Kenya rental car . You do need to let us know in advance as we have to arrange a COMESA card, an extension of the car insurance for your vehicle. Without our consent you are not allowed to cross the border and you are not insured for any damage. You are not allowed to cross to Ethiopia, South Sudan or DRC. Please contact us for more information.

Do I need an international drivers license?

A (valid) driver's license from your own country is sufficient. It's not necessary to buy an international license.

How about insurance? 

Our cars are comprehensively insured against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Personal injury and possessions are not covered and fall under your medical and travel insurance. 

There's a maximum own risk of USD 250, not covered by the insurance. Tires, underbody coverage and windows are not covered by the insurance. The hirer is fully liable for any damage to the Roadtrip Kenya rental car and / or third party property, if:

  • Driving in excess of speed limits;
  • Single vehicle incidents or rollover (these are always considered a result of reckless driving);
  • Damage to the vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle;
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
  • Driving on restricted roads / areas. 

Our teams & conditions are included in the car rental agreement. You can also consult them here.