Roadtrip Madagascar terms & conditions
Please take time to read the terms and condition of our services. Confirming a rental or booking with Roadtrip Madagascar assumes that you have read, fully understand and accept the terms and conditions described below.
- The terms & conditions for car rental with a driver are different, you can find them here.
Roadtrip Madagascar terms & conditions for self-drive car rentals
I. General & use of the Vehicle
1. “RTM” or the “Owner” means Roadtrip Madagascar Sarl, incorporated in Ivato, Madagascar. “You” or the “Hirer” means the person(s) who have signed the Rental Agreement;
The “Rental Agreement” means the rental agreement made between You and the Owner;
“RTM Insurance” means the insurance policy of RTM;
“Vehicle” means the vehicle which is rented by you, as described in your online reservation form.
2. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle on the agreed date, as specified in your online reservation form, before 7:00 PM, unless the Owner has specifically agreed otherwise. No refunds shall be given for early returns.
3. The Hirer shall have a valid driver’s license (of the country of residence and/or an International Driver’s License). It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that he/she carries the driver’s license with him/her whilst driving.
4. The Vehicle is to be operated only by the Hirer who have signed the rental agreement and his authorized travel companions. Any loss or damages arising from the use of the Vehicle by an unauthorized driver shall be borne by the Hirer.
5. Any losses or serious damages of the camping gear shall be charged to the Hirer at replacement value.
6. Any fine or penalty from the traffic police shall be settled by the Hirer.
7. The Vehicle is rented with a full tank of fuel and shall be returned to the Owner with a full tank in order to prevent refueling charges.
8. The Hirer is required to fill up on fuel only at larger gas stations, such as Jovenna, Shell and Total. In some of the smaller gas stations, fuel can be mixed with other liquids or additives, which may seriously damage the Vehicle’s engine.
II. Restricted areas & recommendations
9. Off-limit areas for independent travel: the RN5 beyond Soanierana - Ivongo, the RN 12 beyond Manakara to Fort Dauphin, the RN13 from Ihosy to Ambovombe. Our vehicles are equipped with car trackers. No compliance to this clause means breach of contract, full liability and loss of security bond.
10. We allow our clients to self-drive the Western coastal route from May till November, but 4x4 driving experience is necessary. Take note that backup support is challenging in this remote area, and can take a while. For less experienced and confident drivers, we strongly recommend to go with a pisteur. And also during travel at the beginning (May) and the end of the season (November), when road conditions are more challenging. The pisteur steps in at Tulear to Morondova (or vice versa). RTM arranges the pisteur, the costs are for the Hirer.
11. The Hirer shares his/her’s itinerary in advance, in order for RTM to asses if it is realistic.
12. RTM strongly recommends NOT driving before sunrise (approx. 6.30 AM) and after sunset (approx. 6.30 PM).
13. Hirers are advised to install the free App Maps.me on their Smartphone before travel and download the Madagascar Maps, so they can drive on GPS.
14. All Vehicles are checked and serviced before being rented out and you will receive the Vehicle in safe and roadworthy condition. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle in the same condition as it was provided at the start of the rental.
15. You are responsible for the Vehicle during the rental period and you will use the Vehicle in accordance with good driving practices and in compliance with all laws. Your maintenance of the Vehicle includes checking of engine oil and other lubricants, coolant water, and tire pressure. We recommend to do so every time you are topping up fuel. The costs of the Vehicle’s maintenance during the rental period shall be covered by the Hirer. Failure to maintain appropriate fluid levels may result in engine damage, for which damage the Hirer shall be liable.
16. If any dashboard warning lights illuminate, the Hirer should consult the car symbol check list and, in case of doubt, contact a RTM representative.
17. In case of a mechanical breakdown of the Vehicle which cannot be repaired within 24 hours and which is not the result of your negligence, fault or by that of an approved driver, a replacement Vehicle will be provided and paid for by the Owner on the shortest term possible. Kindly note that replacement Vehicles will have to come from Ivato.
18. In case the Vehicle needs to be repaired during the rental period, the Hirer ensures that:
a. RTM is contacted for authorization prior to any repairs to the Vehicle;
b. a receipt is issued and given to RTM upon return of the Vehicle;
c. When bringing the Vehicle to any garage, valuables should not be left in the Vehicle (even the car tool kit) as it is not uncommon for items to be stolen at the garage. Hirers are required to replace items lost or stolen from the Vehicle (including spare tires, jacks and other tools which come with the Vehicle).
19. In case of an accident, whether it is your fault or those of the third party, the Hirer shall always immediately notify RTM and take pictures of the damaged Vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved in the accident.
20. In case of an incident involving one or more vehicle(s), details of these vehicle(s) and their driver(s) should be identified and reported, such as the driver’s ID, telephone number, number plate and insurance registration number.
21. After an accident, the Hirer should not leave the Vehicle unattended, as it is not uncommon for unattended vehicles to be vandalized.
VI. Damages, waiver and Insurance
22. Roadtrip Madagascar cannot be held liable for damages to the rental car when these are not the result of the mechanical condition of the car. The Hirer acknowledges that they are responsible for all repair and recovery costs in case of the following damage:
a. Tires: RTM cars are rented out with top quality tires, but having a flat tire can happen during the road trip and repair is at the expense of the Hirer. Consult the car explanation checklist for instructions. In the event that any of the tires are damaged beyond repair, the Hirer must replace it with a tire of the same dimension, type and wear characteristics and the cost is for the account of the Hirer. Always call RTM for advice on which type of tires are suitable.
b. Underbody coverage: damage to the underbody of the vehicle is considered a result of careless driving.
23. The car is comprehensive insured with Assurance Aro against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Excess claims beyond the maximum insured by Aro shall be the responsibility of the Hirer. This means that the Hirer's liability is covered by the Owner's insurance, provided that none of the events of clause 24 has occurred, and if:
a. you have accepted our Terms & Conditions by having signed the online Rental Agreement;
b. you have complied with the terms of the Rental Agreement;
c. you pay for the excess amount not covered by the Insurance.
24. The Hirer acknowledges that will be fully liable for any damage to the RTM vehicle and/or (third) property, if any of the following events has occurred:
a. Driving in excess of speed limits. Maximum speed limit inside the National Parks is 25 km / hour!
b. Single vehicle incidents or rollover.
c. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by careless, willful or reckless driving.
d. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle.
e. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
f. Driving on restricted roads / areas.
g. Water submersion or saltwater damage is caused
h. Wrong fuel use.
25. An excess fee applies of maximum € 250, also known as the “deductible”, which is not covered by the insurance and is the Hirer’s own risk.
26. RTM shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law, not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature of the Hirer or the approved driver.
27. RTM cannot accept liability or pay compensation for unforeseen circumstances beyond its control or its staff, including flight delays/cancellations or force majeure such as war or threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist acts, border closure, acts of government or other authorities, strikes, thefts, epidemics, road closures, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, extreme weather conditions, fire, technical and/or mechanical problems to transport and all similar events beyond RTM’s control.
VIII. Security bond
28. A security bond of € 500 is required, which should be paid in cash, upon arrival when we hand over the car. When you return of the car, the vehicle will be inspected by our staff. When the vehicle and camping equipment are in acceptable condition, the bond will be returned in cash. In case of strong doubts which cannot be verified on-site, the vehicle is brought to our workshop, and the bond, if any, partially or in full, will be transferred to a bank account nominated by the Hirer. Any bank transfer fees are born by the Hirer. Please note bond refunds can take up to 10 working days to process.
IX. Booking and payment details
29. Payments can be made in cash or by bank transfer to our Euro account in Madagascar. Bank transfer costs are born by the Hirer. Bank payment shall be made latest 21 days before departure date. When paying cash upon arrival, Roadtrip Madagascar accepts euro’s only.
30. Your Online Car Rental Agreement serves as invoice. Once the invoice is cleared, you receive a payment receipt.