Visa and insurance

Can I buy a tourist visa on arrival for my road trip in Tanzania?

Do I need to get a visa to enter Tanzania? 

Yes, you need a visa to enter Tanzania, which you can buy upon arrival at the airport or when entering the country by land. The cost is US $ 50, cash only.

Can I cross the border with my Roadtrip rental car?

Yes, it is possible to cross the border with a Roadtrip Tanzania rental car to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. You are not allowed to cross to Mozambique, Ethiopia, South Sudan or DRC. If you want to do a multiple country roadtrip, you do need to let us know in advance as we have to arrange a COMESA card, an extension of the car insurance for your vehicle. The insurance costs € 70 and is valid for two weeks. Without our consent you are not allowed to cross the border and you are not insured for any damage. Please contact us for more information.

How about insurance? 

Our cars are comprehensively insured against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Personal injury and possessions are not covered and fall under your medical and travel insurance. 

There's a maximum own risk of € 250, not covered by the insurance. Tires, underbody coverage and windows are not covered by the insurance. The hirer is fully liable for any damage to the Roadtrip Tanzania rental car and / or third party property, if:

  • Driving in excess of speed limits.
  • Single vehicle incidents or rollover (these are always considered a result of reckless driving).
  • Damage to the vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle.
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
  • Driving on restricted roads / areas. 

Our teams & conditions are included in the car rental agreement. You can also consult them here.