Visa and insurance

Entry and border crossing requirements for your Tanzania trip

Can I take my Tanzania registered vehicle into the National Parks of Kenya?  

This might seem an odd question, why should that not be possible? Well, unfortunately, due to trade barriers that exist between Kenya and Tanzania, all vehicles made for safari are supposed to be used in the same country registered. The Kenyan Wildlife Services only allow Tanzanian registered vehicles to enter when it concerns self-drive and considered as ''private use''. These are our Toyota RAV4 and Toyota Landcruiser Double Cab. The Toyota Landcruiser Hardtop six seater with pop up roof is classified as tour vehicle, and not allowed entrance in any of the National Parks of KWS. You find a list of the KWS parks, here

To summarize: 

  • Not any Tanzanian registered vehicle is allowed into the Masai Mara and Samburu National Reserve. 
  • Of the Roadtrip Tanzania cars for hire, the Toyota RAV4 and Landcruiser Double Cab are allowed into the KWS parks, provided it is self-drive. 

Can I cross the border with my Roadtrip rental car?

If you want to cross the border, to Kenya or to another neighbouring country, an extension of the insurance (Comesa card) is mandatory. The insurance costs € 70 and covers a maximum period abroad of 20 days. We will prepare all the necessary paperwork for the car to cross the border. This is an option you can select in the bookings form. You are not allowed to take your Roadtrip Tanzania rental car to Burundi, Mozambique, Ethiopia, South Sudan or DRC.

How about insurance? 

Our cars are comprehensively insured against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Personal injury and possessions are not covered and fall under your medical and travel insurance. 

There's a maximum own risk of € 250, not covered by the insurance. Tires, underbody coverage and windows are not covered by the insurance. The hirer is fully liable for any damage to the Roadtrip Tanzania rental car and / or third party property, if:

  • Driving in excess of speed limits;
  • single vehicle incidents or rollover (these are considered a result of reckless driving);
  • damage to the vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle;
  • driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
  • driving on restricted roads / areas. 

Our teams & conditions are included in the car rental agreement. You can also consult them here.

Do I need a visa to enter Tanzania? 

Yes, you need a visa to enter Tanzania. You can buy this upon arrival at the airport or when entering the country by land. The cost is US $ 50, cash only ($ 100 for USA citizens).

You can also apply for your visa online in advance at


Effective 1st June 2019: plastic bags are banned in Tanzania. The notice by the Tanzanian Government is really strict and warns that people can get fines and/ or experience delay at the airport, if they arrive with plastic bags, in any shape or form, in their suitcases. We have to see how this works out in practice, but nevertheless, it is advisable not to arrive with any plastics in your suitcases.