Terms & conditions for self-drive rental car rental
Roadtrip Africa - Tanzania terms & conditions for self-drive car rentals
I. General & use of the Vehicle
1. “RTA” or the “Owner” means Roadtrip Africa BV
“You” or the “Hirer” means the person(s) who have signed the Rental Agreement;
The “Rental Agreement” means the rental agreement made between You and the Owner;
“RTA Insurance” means the insurance policy of RTA;
“Vehicle” means the vehicle which is rented by you, as described in your online reservation form.
2. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle on the agreed date, as specified in your online reservation form, before 7:00 PM, unless the Owner has specifically agreed otherwise. No refunds shall be given for early returns.
3. The Hirer shall have a valid driver’s license (of the country of residence and/or an International Driver’s License). It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that he/she carries the driver’s license with him/her whilst driving.
4.The Vehicle is to be operated only by the Hirer who has signed the rental agreement and his authorized travel companions. Any loss or damages arising from the use of the Vehicle by an unauthorized driver shall be borne by the Hirer.
5. Any losses or serious damages to the camping gear shall be charged to the Hirer at replacement value.
6. Any fine or penalty from the traffic police shall be settled by the Hirer.
7. The Vehicle is rented with a full tank of fuel - petrol for Toyota RAV4 and diesel for Toyota Landcruiser - and shall be returned to the Owner with a full tank in order to prevent refueling charges.
8. The Hirer is required to fill up on fuel only at larger gas stations, such as Shell and Total. In some of the smaller gas stations, fuel can be mixed with other liquids or additives, which may seriously damage the Vehicle’s engine.
II. Restricted areas & recommendations
9. The following areas are only allowed with a Toyota Land Cruiser and NOT allowed with a Toyota RAV4:
a. The road from NCA towards Seronera, Serengeti, and roads inside the Serengeti. The main access road towards Seronera is a challenging road due to the rocky surface with washboard ribbons. We cannot stress enough to drive slowly (25km/h) and carefully on this road!
b. Ngorongoro Conservation Area. The RAV4 is only allowed for safaris in the Ngorongoro Crater, the rest of the NCA is off limits.
c. Road towards Lake Natron.
d. Selous Game Reserve.
10. Travel to Lake Tanganyika and Gombe Stream National Park is ONLY allowed with a Land Cruiser and upon prior written confirmation by RTA. Western Tanzania lags behind in terms of economic development and very few tourists make it to the far West. The road network is not well maintained and it is challenging to follow up adequately in case the car has a mechanical problem.
Through our car trackers we can see if a RAV4 is driving in a restricted area. It means the hirer has breached the contract and would therefore be fully liable for any costs and loss of security bond.
11. For your safety, the Hirer is not allowed to drive in the dark, which is before sunrise (approx. 6.30 AM) and after sunset (19:00 PM), unless the Hirer has specifically asked for permission and the Owner has agreed otherwise.
12. The Hirer is not allowed to cross any international borders without prior written approval from the Owner and additional insurance coverage through the issuance of a valid COMESA yellow card.
13. Hirers are advised to install the free App Maps.me on their Smartphone before travel and download the Tanzania Maps, so they can drive on GPS. And its strongly advised to buy a local sim card with airtime and internet bundle.
14. When you exit a national park, always make sure you get an exit stamp. This is your own responsibility. If you don't see a ranger at the gate, walk to the ranger post to make sure you'll get the exit stamp. If you forget to check out, rangers start looking for you in the park and the counter is still running. Meaning, that if we hear from the NCA 2 days later that one of our cars is not listed on their exit list, the NCA acts as if you stayed in the park for 2 more days, and our company is charged accordingly, the cost of which shall be forwarded to you.
15. All Vehicles are checked and serviced before being rented out and you will receive the Vehicle in safe and roadworthy condition. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle in the same condition as it was provided at the start of the rental.
16. You are responsible for the Vehicle during the rental period and you will use the Vehicle in accordance with good driving practices and in compliance with all laws. Your maintenance of the Vehicle includes checking of engine oil and other lubricants, coolant water, and tire pressure. We recommend to do so every time you are topping up fuel. The costs of the Vehicle’s maintenance during the rental period shall be covered by the Hirer. Failure to maintain appropriate fluid levels may result in engine damage, for which damage the Hirer shall be liable.
17. If any dashboard warning lights illuminate, the Hirer should consult the car symbol check list and, in case of doubt, contact a RTA representative.
IV. Mechanical breakdowns & repairs
18. In case of a mechanical breakdown of the Vehicle which cannot be repaired within 24 hours and which is not the result of your negligence, fault or by that of an approved driver, a replacement Vehicle will be provided and paid for by the Owner on the shortest term possible. Kindly note that replacement Vehicles will have to come from Arusha.
19. In case the Vehicle needs to be repaired during the rental period, the Hirer ensures that:
a. RTA is contacted for authorization prior to any repairs to the Vehicle;
b. a receipt is issued and given to RTA upon return of the Vehicle;
c. When bringing the Vehicle to any garage, valuables should not be left in the Vehicle (even the car tool kit) as it is not uncommon for items to be stolen at the garage. Hirers are required to replace items lost or stolen from the Vehicle (including spare tires, jacks and other tools which come with the Vehicle).
20. In case of an accident, whether it is your fault or those of the third party, the Hirer shall always
a. notify RTA first, so we can guide you on what to do
b. take pictures of the damaged Vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved in the accident
c. process and clear a police report.
21. In case of an incident involving one or more vehicle(s), details of these vehicle(s) and their driver(s) should be identified and reported, such as the driver’s ID, telephone number, number plate and insurance registration number.
22. After an accident, the Hirer should not leave the Vehicle unattended.
VI. Damages, waiver and Insurance
23. Roadtrip Africa cannot be held liable for damages to the rental car when these are not the result of the mechanical condition of the car. The Hirer acknowledges that they are responsible for all repair and recovery costs in case of the following damage:
a. Tires: RTA cars are rented out with quality tires, but having a flat tire can happen during the road trip and repair is at the expense of the Hirer. Consult the car explanation checklist for instructions. In the event that any of the tires are damaged beyond repair, the Hirer must replace it with a tire of the same dimension, type, and wear characteristics and the cost is for the account of the Hirer. Always call RTA for advice on which type of tires are suitable.
b. Underbody coverage: damage to the underbody of the vehicle is considered a result of careless driving. The line of reasoning is that a driver can't blame the conditions of a road - you can't blame a tree, rock or put-hole for being there - you have to be an observant driver.
24. The car is comprehensive insured with Maxinsure Ltd against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. In the event that the Vehicle got stolen during the rental period, RTA waives your liability provided:
a. the car was parked at a secured, private compound and there are clear signs of break in ( such as a damaged garage door);
b. you have processed and cleared a police report;
c. You have provided RTA with any details of the incident that RTA requests.
25. Excess claims beyond the maximum insured by Maxinsure Ltd shall be the responsibility of the Hirer. This means that the Hirer's liability is covered by the Owner's insurance, provided that:
a. you have accepted our Terms & Conditions by having signed the online Rental Agreement;
b. you have complied with the terms of the Rental Agreement;
c. you pay for the excess amount not covered by the Insurance.
26. The Hirer acknowledges that will be fully liable for any damage to the RTA vehicle and/or (third) property if any of the following events has occurred:
a. Driving in excess of speed limits. Maximum speed limit inside the National Parks is 25 km / hour!
b. Single vehicle incidents or rollover.
c. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by lack of proper care/maintenance of the vehicle. Keep an eye out for the dashboard warning lights. In case the temp meter goes beyond 2/3, stop driving immediately and call us! If you continue driving with an overheated engine, this can result in severe damage to the engine for which the hirer is liable.
d. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
e. Driving on restricted roads/areas.
f. Water submersion or saltwater damage is caused
g. Wrong fuel use
27. An excess fee applies of maximum € 250, also known as the “deductible”, which is not covered by the insurance and is the Hirer’s own risk.
28. RTA shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law, not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature of the Hirer or the approved driver.
29. RTA cannot accept liability or pay compensation for unforeseen circumstances beyond its control or its staff, including flight delays/cancellations or force majeure such as war or threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist acts, border closure, acts of government or other authorities, strikes, thefts, epidemics, road closures, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, extreme weather conditions, fire, technical and/or mechanical problems to transport and all similar events beyond RTA’s control.
VIII. Security bond
30. A security bond of € 500 is required through Credit card reservation. Upon return of the car, the vehicle will be inspected by our staff. When the vehicle and camping equipment are in acceptable condition, the Credit card freeze will be released. In case of strong doubts which cannot be verified on-site, the vehicle is brought to our workshop, and the bond, if any, partially or in full, will be charged.
IX. Payment details and cancelation policy
31. When you have accepted the contract, we send you an invoice which should be paid latest two weeks before the departure date. The invoice can be paid cash on arrival or online by Credit Card, Bank transfer or Ideal (Dutch customer only). Bank transfers involving foreign currency exchange, work out cheaper when using Wise of Revolut instead of your bank.
There are no refunds in case of a last-minute cancelation or rescheduling, which is 14 days before your departure date or less. Take out travel insurance or cancelation insurance, if you want to be covered.