Uganda travel tips & practical information
Take a moment to read through this page before you travel to Uganda. It contains travel tips, important information and frequently asked questions related self-drive and independent travel in Uganda. Can't find the answer to your question here? Drop us a line - we're experts on self drive safaris and travel in Uganda, and happy to help.
Is Uganda a safe self-drive destination?
We occasionally get that question. The answer is yes! Uganda is known to be one of the safest countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, with very friendly people. Most people speak good English, and armed attacks on travellers are unheard of. We would not have gone into the self drive business in a country where it is not safe.
Nevertheless, we trust you to travel sensibly. That means taking the following precautions:
- Always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food
- When you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is
- Always park your car at a private parking lot
- Do not go wild camping
- Do not travel after dark (6PM) - fellow road users in Uganda often have no lights or put on their high beam lights so you can't see a thing.
- The biggest mistake travellers make is wanting to cover too much ground in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to assess whether your travel plans are realistic.