Before you travel to Uganda
Take a moment to browse through this page before you travel to Uganda. It contains tips, important information and frequently asked questions related to self-drive and independent travel in Uganda. Is the answer to your question not found here? Drop us a line, we are happy to help.
Is Uganda a safe self-drive destination?
We occasionally get that question. The answer is yes. Uganda is known to be one of the safest countries of Sub-Saharan Africa with friendly people. Most people speak fairly good English. Armed attacks towards travellers is unheard of. Moreover, we would not want to be in the self drive business in a country where it is not safe.
Nevertheless, we trust you to travel sensibly. That means the following precautions:
- always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food
- when you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is
- always park your car at a private parking lot
- do not go wild camping
- do not travel after dark (>6PM) and why would you anyway? Fellow road users often have no lights or put on their high beam lights so you can't see a thing.
- the biggest mistake travellers make is wanting to cover too much ground in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to asses if your plans are realistic.