Camp gear rental Roadtrip Uganda
Want to experience the ultimate freedom? Explore Uganda with a set of camp gear in the back of your car.
Hire a dome tent, or go with a roof top tent ( possible with Landcruiser only). The costs are USD 20 / day for the roof top tent or USD 5 per person / per day for the dome tent.
A roof top tent is easy to set up. Just watch this instruction video.
Can't decide? Read our blog about the pro's & con's of a rooftop tent versus a dome tent.
A full set of quality camp gear consists of the following items:
- Tent (dome tent or rooftent)
- Folding foam mattresses
- Blanket or sleeping bag, pillows and bedsheets
- Table and chairs
- Cool box (not electrical)
- Gas tank & burner, BBQ roaster
- RVS cups, plates & bowls
- Cooking pots, frying pans
- cutlery set with forks, knives, spoons, can opener, cork screw
- Coffee percolator
- Cutting board
- Dish towel, detergent, washing line & pegs
- Headlights and solar table lamp.
Kindly note that we do not provide camp gear rental as a standalone service.
Why you should go camping in Uganda
Whether you are on a budget, love the outdoors, or just don't want to have to book your accommodation ahead of time, roadtripping with a full set of camping gear in the back of the car gives you a great sense of flexibility.
Uganda is very suitable for camping and it can greatly reduce costs spent on accommodation. There are numerous campgrounds all over the country ranging from basic bush campsites inside the parks, to private campgrounds operated by a lodge owner, enabling you to stay at a secured site with good amenities whilst sleeping for a dime. Moreover, the opportunities to camp are year-round because of the warm climate. The more fancy lodges will charge about USD 10 pp. Basic nature camp sites costs as little as USD 5 / tent. Wild camping is not recommended.
Campsites do not require any advance arrangements - most of them can't even be booked in advance. Refer to our accommodation page for a complete list of our favourite campsites in Uganda.
Our top 5 favorite campsites in Uganda:
5. UWA campsite near Paraa, Murchison Falls NP.
4. Camping on top of the world viewpoint at the Crater Lakes, Fort Portal area
3. Enjoy the great camping facilities at Enjojo Lodge, Ishasha Sector of Queen Elizabeth NP
2. Camping between the elephants and hippos at Mweya Campsite, Queen Elizabeth NP
1. Roaring lions in the background at Nagusokopire Campsite, Kidepo Valley NP.
Also, the Bradt Travel Guide that comes with your Roadtrip Uganda rental car has detailed and updated information about most campsites.