Camping gear rental with Roadtrip Uganda
Want to experience the ultimate freedom? Explore Uganda with a set of camping gear in the back of your car.
We can equip your Landcruiser with a rooftop tent, or you can hire a dome tent. Both options come with a full set of quality camping gear, at a cost of € 20 / day for the rooftop tent or € 5 per person / per day for the dome tent.
A full set of quality camping gear consists of the following items:
- Tent (dome tent or rooftop tent)
- Folding foam mattresses
- Blanket or sleeping bag, pillows and bedsheets
- Table and chairs
- Cool box (non-electrical)
- Gas tank and burner, BBQ roaster
- RVS cups, plates & bowls
- Cooking pots and frying pans
- Cutlery set with forks, knives, spoons, can opener, cork screw
- Coffee percolator
- Cutting board
- Dish towel, detergent, washing line & pegs
- Headlights and solar table lamp.
Kindly note that we do not provide camping gear rental as a standalone service.
A roof top tent is easy to set up. Just watch this instruction video.
Can't decide? Read our blog about the pro's & con's of a rooftop tent versus a dome tent.
Why you should go camping in Uganda
Whether you are on a budget, love the outdoors, or just don't want to have to book your accommodation ahead of time, roadtripping with a full set of camping gear in the back of the car gives you a great sense of flexibility.
Uganda is a very suitable country for camping, and this can greatly reduce the cost of accommodation on your trip. There are numerous campgrounds all over the country ranging from basic bush campsites inside the parks to private campgrounds operated by lodge owners, enabling you to stay at a secured site with good amenities whilst sleeping for a dime. The opportunities for camping in Uganda are year round thanks to its warm climate. The more fancy lodges will charge about USD 10 pp. Basic nature camp sites cost as little as USD 5 / tent. Wild camping is not recommended.
Campsites do not require any advance arrangements - most of them can't even be booked in advance. Refer to our accommodation page for a complete list of our favourite campsites in Uganda.
Our top 5 favorite campsites in Uganda:
5. UWA campsite near Paraa, Murchison Falls National Park
4. Camping on top of the world viewpoint at the Crater Lakes, Fort Portal area
3. The camping facilities at Enjojo Lodge, Ishasha Sector of Queen Elizabeth National Park
2. Camping with elephants and hippos at Mweya Campsite, Queen Elizabeth National Park
1. Roaring lions in the background at Nagusokopire Campsite, Kidepo Valley National Park
The Bradt Travel Guide that comes with your Roadtrip Uganda rental car has detailed and updated information about most campsites in Uganda.