Money and travel in Uganda
Uganda is a cash economy. Most restaurants, lodges or campsites outside of Kampala don't accept cards. However, ATMs are widely available across the country in all bigger provincial towns. Stanbic Bank and Barclays are your most reliable banks accepting MasterCard, Maestro and Visa. We recommend that you bring additional Euros or US Dollars with you in cash, for unforeseen things. US Dollars and Euros can easily be changed to Ugandan shillings at any Forex Bureau in most provincial towns. Also, bring additional cards, as the daily uptake with a foreign card is limited at the ATMs.
Uganda travel budget
Compared to other popular vacation destinations in East Africa ( Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya) - Uganda is the most affordable. Prices are quoted in Ugandan Shillings and US Dollars. Herewith an overview of indication of costs in US Dollars:
- Petrol costs between $ 1 – $1.20 / L
- National Park entrance fees: $ 40 / 24 hour per person, plus $ 10 for the vehicle, regardless how long you stay in the park.
- A three-course meal at a lodge cost around $12- $ 17
- Accommodation prices are reasonable. There is a large mid-range segment, providing good value for money. Price range for a double room including breakfast is as follows:
- Budget, incl camping, is in the range of $10- $80
- Mid-range $80- $175
- Deluxe is > $175