Do I need a visa to enter Uganda?
You need a tourist visa to enter Uganda. You can apply for a visa online here
Tourists choose ‘Visa’ under ’categories’. As sub-category, you can choose one of the following options:
- Ordinary - a single entry tourist visa valid for 3 months. USD 50.
- East Africa Tourist Visa - which you can use to cross to Kenya and Rwanda for the same USD 100.
- Multiple Entry visa - if you plan to be in and out of the country multiple times in 6 to 12 months.
- Diplomatic & official - if you want to give your visit a political twist.
- Transit- if you are transiting, but want to exit the airport. This is not necessary for people who are just changing flights.
You need to print your approved application and you still pay cash in USD at the border.
Do I need yellow fever vaccination to enter Uganda?
Although it has always been recommended for travelers, the government of Uganda has now made yellow fever vaccines mandatory for every person entering Uganda. We recommend to get your yellow fever vaccination in your country of residence and obtain a proof of your vaccination (usually a yellow passport-sized booklet). You need to show this proof upon arrival at the airport.
Can I cross the border with my Roadtrip rental car?
Yes, it is possible to cross the border with a Roadtrip Uganda rental car to Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda. In case you are considering to go to Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe, that is also possible, but be aware that we cannot provide roadside assistance. You are not allowed to cross to Ethiopia, South Sudan or DRC. If you want to do a multiple country roadtrip, you do need to let us know in advance as we have to arrange a COMESA card, an extension of the car insurance for your vehicle. Without our consent you are not allowed to cross the border and you are not insured for any damage. Please contact us for more information.
How about insurance?
Our cars are comprehensively insured against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Personal injury and possessions are not covered and fall under your medical and travel insurance.
There's a maximum own risk of € 250, not covered by the insurance. Tires, underbody coverage and windows are not covered by the insurance. The hirer is fully liable for any damage to the Roadtrip Uganda rental car and / or third party property, if:
- Driving in excess of speed limits.
- Single vehicle incidents or rollover (these are always considered a result of reckless driving).
- Damage to the vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving on restricted roads / areas.
Our full teams & conditions are included in the car rental agreement. You can also consult them here.