Which car to hire for your safari in Uganda?
If you are looking for extra comfort during your road trip in Uganda, then the Hilux is the car to rent. The Toyota Hilux Double Cab have very high ground clearance and big wheels, A/C, and a canopy on the back for easy access to camping equipment and luggage.
The Hilux provides more comfort for its passengers when driving on asphalt roads compared to our classic Toyota Landcruiser, which can be a bit bumpy and noisy when driving at high speed.
Read our specification sheet and know what to expect when renting a car from Roadtrip Africa.
Toyota Hilux Car specifications
- Model: Toyota Hilux Vigo
- Year of Manufacture: 2005 - 2015
- Capacity: Five seats. When camping, the vehicle can accommodate 4 persons with camp gear and luggage.
- Gearbox: Manual
- Engine: 1KD 4 cylinder engine
- Tank capacity: 80 Litre
- Fuel: Diesel
- Fuel consumption: 7-8 km /L.
- 4Wheel Drive: How to engage the 4WD is explained in the practical information booklet in your vehicle.
- Spare tyres: 1
- Tyre pressure: Depending on number of people and load, 30 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back. You don’t need to do anything further with this. The tyre pressure comes well adjusted.
The interior and tools
- Pop up roof: No
- Inverter: No
- Dual battery (for fridge): yes
- Water tank: No
- A/C: Yes. Please note that we don’t do field repairs or send a replacement vehicle in the rare case there are problems with the A/C. Wiring and piping are sensitive and suffer from bumpy roads and dust. The knowledge and equipment to repair A/C's are sadly not available in the field.
- Audio: Radio with small speakers and USB and audio port. Bring your own audio cable to play music from your phone.
- Booth/ Canopy: The canopy has adequate space. We advise packing your luggage in soft duffle bags as they pack easier than suitcases. If your travel group is five, we advise packing light to fit your luggage comfortably.
- Tools: Wheel spanner, towing rope, jumper cables, bottle jack
- Extras: Bradt Travel Guide, roadmap, Roadtrip Uganda's practical information manual.
Roadtrippers enjoying their self-drive camping safari. Picture taken Lake Mburo UWA public camp site.
Are you interested to hire the Hilux for your road trip in Uganda? Check availability and get in touch by filling out the bookings form here.