Which car to hire for your holiday in Uganda
In Uganda we have two types of Landcruisers in our fleet. The Box Model has no pop up roof, but a large booth and can be equipped with a rooftop tent. Therefore this Landcruiser model is most geared for people wishing to go on a camping safari. It can comfortably fit 4 people with camp gear and personal luggage.
Read our specification sheet and know what to expect when renting a car from Roadtrip Africa.
Please take note that our vehicles are well maintained but NOT new, so the driving comfort and quality of the audio or A/C is not comparable to a new car you might drive at home or have rented in Southern Africa, where the roads tend to be in better condition and are very accommodating for self-drive, therefore putting much less wear and tear on the vehicles.
You will not find new Landcruiser for hire in Uganda. The classic Landcruisers you see on the roads in Uganda can be twenty years old, but don't let this fool you. It's for good reason - as they are extremely power-full and reliable, and with no electronics, made for slower travel in the bush.
Toyota Landcruiser Box Model Specifications
- Model: Toyota Land Cruiser 70
- Capacity: Four seats, with or without camp gear and luggage.
- Gearbox: Manual
- Engine: 1PZ 5 cylinder engine
- Tank capacity: 80 Litre
- Fuel: Diesel
- Fuel consumption: 7-8 km/L.
- 4Wheel Drive: Differs per vehicle. How to engage the 4WD is explained in the practical information booklet in your vehicle.
- Spare tyres: 1
- Tyre pressure: Depending on number of people and load, 30 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back. You don’t need to do anything further with this. The tyre pressure comes well adjusted.
The interior and tools
- Pop up roof: No
- Inverter: No
- Dual battery (for fridge): No. The fridge is only functional while the engine is running.
- Water tank: No
- A/C: No. Reason being that the A/C can get blocked easily as a result of the bumpy and dusty roads, and it's very challenging to fix this in the bush. Drive with your windows open.
- Audio: Radio with small speakers and USB and audio port. Bring your own audio cable (mini jack) to play music from your phone.
- Booth: The boot has adequate space. We advise to pack your luggage in soft duffle bags as they pack easier than suitcases. If your travel group is four, we advise to pack light to fit your luggage comfortably.
- Tools: Wheel spanner, towing rope, jumper cables, bottle jack
- Extras: Bradt Travel Guide, roadmap, Roadtrip Uganda's practical information manual.
Do you want to go on a self-drive adventure in Uganda? Check availability and get in touch by filling out the bookings form here.