Practical information for your travel to Kenya
In this section, you'll find lots of practical information and frequently asked questions related to self-drive and independent travel in Kenya. Can't find the answer to your question here? Drop us a line, we are Kenya travel experts and happy to help with any enquiries.
Ready to design your travel itineary and wondering what to do in Kenya? Than continue to our Kenya Travel Guide for lots of inspiration, covering highlights and hidden gems in Kenya.
Is Kenya a safe country for self drive?
We have travelled the country up and down and know all the hidden corners of Kenya. We can wholeheartedly say that Kenya is a safe country for self-drive holidays, and we would not want to be in the self drive business in a country where it is not sensible to go on a self drive holiday either.
We trust you to travel sensibly. That means taking the following precautions:
- Always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food.
- When you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is.
- Always park your car at a private and secure parking lot.
- Do not go wild camping.
- Do not travel after dark (6PM) and why would you want to anyway? Fellow road users often drive without lights or put on their high beams so you can't see a thing.
- The biggest mistake travelers make is wanting to cover too much ground in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to assess if your plans are realistic.