Roadtrip Uganda terms & conditions
Confirming a rental or booking with Roadtrip Africa in Uganda confirms that you have read, fully understand and accept the terms and conditions described below.
- The Terms & Conditions for car rental with a driver are slightly different. You can find them here.
Terms & conditions for self-drive car rentals
I. General & use of the vehicle
1. “RTU” or the “Owner” means Roadtrip Uganda Limited
“You” or the “Hirer” means the person(s) who have signed the Rental Agreement;
The “Rental Agreement” means the rental agreement made between You and the Owner;
“RTU Insurance” means the insurance policy of RTU;
“Vehicle” means the vehicle which is rented by you, as described in your online reservation form.
2. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle on the agreed date, as specified in your online reservation form, before 7:00 PM, unless the Owner has specifically agreed otherwise. No refunds shall be given for early returns.
3. The Hirer shall have a valid driver’s license (of the country of residence and/or an International Driver’s License). It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that he/she carries the driver’s license with him/her whilst driving.
4. The Vehicle is to be operated only by the Hirer who have signed the rental agreement and his authorized travel companions. Any loss or damages arising from the use of the Vehicle by an unauthorized driver shall be borne by the Hirer.
5. Any losses or serious damages of the camping gear shall be charged to the Hirer at replacement value.
6. Any fine or penalty from the traffic police shall be settled by the Hirer.
7. The Vehicle is rented with a full tank of fuel - petrol for Toyota RAV4 and diesel for Toyota Landcruiser - and shall be returned to the Owner with a full tank in order to prevent refueling charges.
8. The Hirer is required to fill up on fuel only at larger gas stations, such as Shell and Total. In some of the smaller gas stations, fuel can be mixed with other liquids or additives, which may seriously damage the Vehicle’s engine.
II. Restricted areas & recommendations
9. RTU strongly recommends NOT driving before sunrise (approx. 6.30 AM) and after sunset (approx. 6.30 PM).
10. Travelling and driving to Kidepo National Park and in the Karamoja area is ONLY allowed with a Toyota Landcruiser and Hilux. All roads north of the Pakwach - Lira - Soroti - Mbale are off limits with a RAV4. Through our car trackers we can see if a RAV4 is driving in a restricted area. It means the hirer has breached the contract and would therefore be fully liable for any costs and loss of security bond.
11. Murchison Falls is notorious for single vehicle roll – overs!! The road from which you enter the park from the south, from Masindi to Murchison Falls National Park, is a challenging road due to the rocky surface with washboard ribbons. Drive at LIMITED SPEED (25 km /h), otherwise you lose control easily. Single vehicle roll-overs are NOT covered by the insurance.
12. The Hirer is not allowed to cross any international borders without prior written approval from the Owner and additional insurance coverage through the issuance of a valid COMESA yellow card.
13. Hirers are advised to install the free App Maps.me on their Smartphone before travel and download the Uganda Maps, so they can drive on GPS.
14. All Vehicles are checked and serviced before being rented out and you will receive the Vehicle in safe and roadworthy condition. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle in the same condition as it was provided at the start of the rental.
15. You are responsible for the Vehicle during the rental period and you will use the Vehicle in accordance with good driving practices and in compliance with all laws. Your maintenance of the Vehicle includes checking of engine oil and other lubricants, coolant water, and tire pressure. We recommend to do so every time you are topping up fuel. The costs of the Vehicle’s maintenance during the rental period shall be covered by the Hirer. Failure to maintain appropriate fluid levels may result in engine damage, for which damage the Hirer shall be liable.
16. If any dashboard warning lights illuminate, the Hirer should consult the car symbol check list and, in case of doubt, contact a RTU representative.
IV. Mechanical breakdowns & repairs
17. In case of a mechanical breakdown of the Vehicle which cannot be repaired within 24 hours and which is not the result of your negligence, fault or by that of an approved driver, a replacement Vehicle will be provided and paid for by the Owner on the shortest term possible. Kindly note that replacement Vehicles will have to come from Kampala.
18. In case the Vehicle needs to be repaired during the rental period, the Hirer ensures that:
a. RTU is contacted for authorization prior to any repairs to the Vehicle;
b. a receipt is issued and given to RTU upon return of the Vehicle;
c. When bringing the Vehicle to any garage, valuables should not be left in the Vehicle (even the car tool kit) as it is not uncommon for items to be stolen at the garage. Hirers are required to replace items lost or stolen from the Vehicle (including spare tires, jacks and other tools which come with the Vehicle).
19. In case of an accident, whether it is your fault or those of the third party, the Hirer shall always immediately notify RTU and take pictures of the damaged Vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved in the accident.
20. In case of an incident involving one or more vehicle(s), details of these vehicle(s) and their driver(s) should be identified and reported, such as the driver’s ID, telephone number, number plate and insurance registration number.
21. After an accident, the Hirer should not leave the Vehicle unattended, as it is not uncommon for unattended vehicles to be vandalized.
VI. Damages, waiver and RTU Insurance
22. Subject to this clause, the Hirer is liable:
a. for the loss of or any damage to the hired Vehicle during the rental period;
b. for all third party property damage of any person, which is caused or contributed to by the Hirer or an approved driver or which arises from the use of the Vehicle by the Hirer or an approved driver;
c. for all third party bodily injury, which is caused or contributed to by the Hirer or an approved driver or which arises from the use of the Vehicle by the Hirer or an approved driver;
23. In the event of an unintended collision between the Vehicle and any other object (including another vehicle) during the rental period that results in damage to the Vehicle or to the property of any third party, RTU waives your liability under clause 22, provided:
a. you have accepted our Terms & Conditions by having signed the online Rental Agreement;
b. RTU agrees that you and/or the approved driver were not at fault;
c. you have complied with the terms of the Rental Agreement;
d. you pay for the excess amount not covered by the RTU Insurance ( see clause 27).
24. In the event that the Vehicle got stolen during the rental period, RTU waives your liability under clause 22, provided:
a. the car was parked at a secured, private compound and there are clear signs of break in ( such as a damaged garage door);
b. you have processed and cleared a police report;
c. You have provided RTU with any details of the incident that RTU requests (including the ones mentioned in clause 20).
25. RTU will not waive your liability under clause 22 and the damages arising thereof will not be subject of coverage by the RTU Insurance, if any of the following events has occurred:
a. Driving in excess of speed limits. Maximum speed limit inside the National Parks is 25 km / hour!
b. Single vehicle incidents or rollover.
c. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by careless, willful or reckless driving.
d. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle.
e. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
f. Driving on restricted roads / areas.
g. Water submersion or saltwater damage is caused
h. Wrong fuel use
26. The RTU Insurance follows and incorporates the terms and conditions of Sanlam General Insurance Uganda. This means that RTU will directly apply the rules and regulations of Sanlam General Insurance Uganda to any liability of the Hirer, including (but not limited to) the thresholds, exceptions etc. included therein. Excess claims beyond the maximum coverage insured by Sanlam shall be the responsibility of the Hirer.
27. An excess fee applies of maximum € 250, also known as the “deductible”, which is not covered and is the Hirer’s own risk.
28. The following damages do not fall under the waiver subject to this paragraph and are not covered by the RTU Insurance:
a. personal bodily injury and/or belongings of the Hirer or the approved driver. The Hirer is advised to obtain travel and medical insurance;
b. the following repair and recover costs:
i. Tires: the Vehicle is rented out with good quality tires, but having a flat tire can happen during the road trip and repair is at the expense of the Hirer. Consult the car explanation checklist for instructions. In the event that any of the tires are damaged beyond repair, the Hirer must replace it with a tire of the same dimension, type and wear characteristics and the cost is for the account of the Hirer. Always call RTU for advice on which type of tires are suitable.
ii. Underbody coverage: damage to the underbody of the vehicle is considered a result of careless driving.
29. RTU shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law, not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature of the Hirer or the approved driver.
30. RTU cannot accept liability or pay compensation for unforeseen circumstances beyond its control or its staff, including flight delays/cancellations or force majeure such as war or threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist acts, border closure, acts of government or other authorities, strikes, thefts, epidemics, road closures, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, extreme weather conditions, fire, technical and/or mechanical problems to transport and all similar events beyond RTU’s control.
VIII. Security bond
31. A security bond of € 350 is required through Credit card reservation. Upon return of the car, the vehicle will be inspected by our staff. When the vehicle and camping equipment are in acceptable condition, the Credit card freeze will be released. In case of strong doubts which cannot be verified on-site, the vehicle is brought to our workshop, and the bond, if any, partially or in full, will be charged.
IX. Booking and payment details
32. When you have accepted the contract, we send you an invoice which should be paid latest two weeks before departure date.The invoice can be paid online by Credit Card, Paypal, Bank transfer ( within Europe only) or Ideal ( Dutch customer only). Or you can pay cash on arrival in Euro’s, US Dollars or Ugandan Shilling.
X. Booking and payment details for accommodated roadtrip
33. A deposit of 25% is required to confirm to confirm the booking and reserve the lodges and purchase the permits. The invoice with the remaining amount added with the security bond amount, is due one month before departure. Payments can be made by Credit Card, Paypal, Bank transfer ( within Europe only) or Ideal ( Dutch customer only).
XI. Cancellation policy
34. For gorilla trekking permits, we adopt the cancellation policy of the Uganda Wildlife Authority:
a. 3 months / 91 days before trekking date: 70% refund
b. 46 - 90 days: 50%
c. 9 - 45 days: 25%
d. 0 - 8 days: no refund
37. For accommodated road trips:
a. cancellation after confirmation, loss of deposit of 25%
b. 14 days – 30 days before arrival: 50% of invoice amount minus the permits
c. < 14 days: 100% of total payable