Roadtrip Kenya terms & conditions
Please take time to read the terms and condition of Kenya’s services. Confirming a rental or booking with Roadtrip Kenya assumes that you have read, fully understand and accept the terms and conditions described below.
The terms & conditions for car rental with a driver are slightly different, you can find them here.
Roadtrip Kenya terms & conditions for self-drive car rentals
I. General & use of the Vehicle
1. “RTK” or the “Owner” means Roadtrip Kenya Limited
“You” or the “Hirer” means the person(s) who have signed the Rental Agreement;
The “Rental Agreement” means the rental agreement made between You and the Owner;
“RTK Insurance” means the insurance policy of RTK;
“Vehicle” means the vehicle which is rented by you, as described in your online reservation form.
2. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle on the agreed date, as specified in your online reservation form, before 7:00 PM, unless the Owner has specifically agreed otherwise. No refunds shall be given for early returns.
3. The Hirer shall have a valid driver’s license (of the country of residence and/or an International Driver’s License). It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that he/she carries the driver’s license with him/her whilst driving.
4. The Vehicle is to be operated only by the Hirer who have signed the rental agreement and his authorized travel companions. Any loss or damages arising from the use of the Vehicle by an unauthorized driver shall be borne by the Hirer.
5. Any losses or serious damages of the camping gear shall be charged to the Hirer at replacement value.
6. Any fine or penalty from the traffic police shall be settled by the Hirer.
7. The Vehicle is rented with a full tank of fuel - petrol for Toyota RAV4 and diesel for Toyota Landcruiser - and shall be returned to the Owner with a full tank in order to prevent refueling charges.
8. The Hirer is required to fill up on fuel only at larger gas stations, such as Shell and Total. In some of the smaller gas stations, fuel can be mixed with other liquids or additives, which may seriously damage the Vehicle’s engine.
II. Restricted areas & recommendations
9. Hirers are NOT allowed to drive our vehicles in Northern Kenya. This is the entire area north of Mount Elgon – Lake Baringo – Samburu NR – Shaba NR and north of Malindi. Our vehicles are equipped with car trackers. No compliance to this clause means breach of contract, full liability and loss of security bond.
10. The following areas are only allowed with a Toyota Landcruiser and are NOT allowed with a Toyota RAV4: the road towards and inside Maasai Mara, and the C12 Narok – Sekenani gate.
11. The C12 towards the Maasia Mara is notorious for single vehicle roll – overs! It is a challenging road due to the rocky surface with washboard ribbons. Drive at LIMITED SPEED (25 km /h), otherwise you lose control instantly. Single vehicle roll-overs are NOT covered by the insurance.
12. RTK strongly recommends NOT driving before sunrise (approx. 6.30 AM) and after sunset (approx. 6.30 PM).
13. The Hirer is not allowed to cross any international borders without prior written approval from the Owner and additional insurance coverage through the issuance of a valid COMESA yellow card.
14. Hirers are advised to install the free App Maps.me on their Smartphone before travel and download the Kenya Maps, so they can drive on GPS.
15. All Vehicles are checked and serviced before being rented out and you will receive the Vehicle in safe and roadworthy condition. The Hirer shall return the Vehicle in the same condition as it was provided at the start of the rental.
16. You are responsible for the Vehicle during the rental period and you will use the Vehicle in accordance with good driving practices and in compliance with all laws. Your maintenance of the Vehicle includes checking of engine oil and other lubricants, coolant water, and tire pressure. We recommend to do so every time you are topping up fuel. The costs of the Vehicle’s maintenance during the rental period shall be covered by the Hirer. Failure to maintain appropriate fluid levels may result in engine damage, for which damage the Hirer shall be liable.
17. If any dashboard warning lights illuminate, the Hirer should consult the car symbol check list and, in case of doubt, contact a RTK representative.
IV. Mechanical breakdowns & repairs
18. In case of a mechanical breakdown of the Vehicle which cannot be repaired within 24 hours and which is not the result of your negligence, fault or by that of an approved driver, a replacement Vehicle will be provided and paid for by the Owner on the shortest term possible. Kindly note that replacement Vehicles will have to come from Nairobi.
19. In case the Vehicle needs to be repaired during the rental period, the Hirer ensures that:
a. RTK is contacted for authorization prior to any repairs to the Vehicle;
b. a receipt is issued and given to RTK upon return of the Vehicle;
c. When bringing the Vehicle to any garage, valuables should not be left in the Vehicle (even the car tool kit) as it is not uncommon for items to be stolen at the garage. Hirers are required to replace items lost or stolen from the Vehicle (including spare tires, jacks and other tools which come with the Vehicle).
20. In case of an accident, whether it is your fault or those of the third party, the Hirer shall always immediately notify RTK and take pictures of the damaged Vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved in the accident.
21. In case of an incident involving one or more vehicle(s), details of these vehicle(s) and their driver(s) should be identified and reported, such as the driver’s ID, telephone number, number plate and insurance registration number.
22. After an accident, the Hirer should not leave the Vehicle unattended, as it is not uncommon for unattended vehicles to be vandalized.
VI. Damages, waiver and Insurance
23. Roadtrip Kenya cannot be held liable for damages to the rental car when these are not the result of the mechanical condition of the car. The Hirer acknowledges that they are responsible for all repair and recovery costs in case of the following damage:
a. Tires: RTK cars are rented out with top quality tires, but having a flat tire can happen during the road trip and repair is at the expense of the Hirer. Consult the car explanation checklist for instructions. In the event that any of the tires are damaged beyond repair, the Hirer must replace it with a tire of the same dimension, type and wear characteristics and the cost is for the account of the Hirer. Always call RTK for advice on which type of tires are suitable.
b. Underbody coverage: damage to the underbody of the vehicle is considered a result of careless driving.
24. The car is comprehensive insured with Sanlam Insurance against damage as a result of accident or fire, and third party liability to property and bodily injury due to a car accident. Excess claims beyond the maximum insured by Sanlam shall be the responsibility of the Hirer. This means that the Hirer's liability is covered by the Owner's insurance, provided that none of the events of clause 24 has occurred, and if:
a. you have accepted our Terms & Conditions by having signed the online Rental Agreement;
b. you have complied with the terms of the Rental Agreement;
c. you pay for the excess amount not covered by the Insurance.
25. The Hirer acknowledges that will be fully liable for any damage to the RTK vehicle and/or (third) property, if any of the following events has occurred:
a. Driving in excess of speed limits. Maximum speed limit inside the National Parks is 25 km / hour!
b. Single vehicle incidents or rollover.
c. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by careless, willful or reckless driving.
d. Damage to the Vehicle is caused by lack of proper care / maintenance of the vehicle.
e. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
f. Driving on restricted roads / areas.
g. Water submersion or saltwater damage is caused
h. Wrong fuel use
26. RTK shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law, not be liable for any loss, damage or injury of any nature of the Hirer or the approved driver.
27. RTK cannot accept liability or pay compensation for unforeseen circumstances beyond its control or its staff, including flight delays/cancellations or force majeure such as war or threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist acts, border closure, acts of government or other authorities, strikes, thefts, epidemics, road closures, industrial disputes, natural or nuclear disaster, extreme weather conditions, fire, technical and/or mechanical problems to transport and all similar events beyond RTK’s control.
VIII. Security bond
28. A security bond of USD 350 is required through Credit card reservation. Upon return of the car, the vehicle will be inspected by our staff. When the vehicle and camping equipment are in acceptable condition, the Credit card freeze will be released. In case of strong doubts which cannot be verified on-site, the vehicle is brought to our workshop, and the bond, if any, partially or in full, will be charged.
IX. Booking and payment details
29. Payments are made with Credit card through Direct Pay Online, for which we send you a payment link. The 3.7% administration costs charged by Direct Pay Online are forwarded to the Hirer.
30. Your Online Car Rental Agreement serves as invoice. Once the invoice is cleared, you receive a payment receipt.
X. Booking and payment details accommodated roadtrips
31.A deposit of 50% is required to confirm to confirm the booking and reserve the lodges. The invoice with the remaining amount added with the security bond amount, is due one month before departure. Payments are made by Credit card through Direct Pay Online. The 3.7% administration costs charged by Direct Pay Online are forwarded to the Hirer.
32. Your Online Car Rental Agreement serves as invoice. Once the invoice is cleared, you receive a payment receipt.
XI. Cancelation policy accommodated roadtrips
a. after confirmation, loss of 30%
b. 14 days – 30 days before arrival: 50% of invoice
c. < 14 days: 100% of total payable