Preparing for your Uganda roadtrip
Take a moment to read through this page before you travel to Uganda. It contains practical tips, important information and frequently asked questions related to self-drive and independent travel in Uganda. Can't find the answer to your question here? Drop us a line - we're experts on self drive safaris and travel in Uganda, and we'd be happy to help.
Ready to design your travel itineary and wondering what to do in Uganda? Than read our Uganda Travel Guide. Here you'll find lots of travel guides about highlights and hidden gems in Uganda.
Is Uganda a safe self-drive destination?
We occasionally get this question. The answer is yes! Uganda is known to be one of the safest countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, with very friendly people. Most Ugandans speak good English, and armed attacks on travellers are unheard of. We would not have gone into the self-drive car hire business in a country where it isn't safe.
Nevertheless, we trust you to travel sensibly. That means taking the following precautions:
- Always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food.
- When you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is.
- Always park your car at a private parking lot.
- Do not go wild camping.
- Do not travel after dark (6PM) - fellow road users in Uganda often have no lights or put on their high beam lights so you can't see a thing.
- The biggest mistake travellers make is wanting to cover too much ground in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to assess whether your travel plans are realistic.