Before you travel to Tanzania
Take a moment to browse through this page before you travel to Tanzania. It contains tips, important information and frequently asked questions related to self-drive and independent travel in Tanzania. Can't find the answer to your question here? Drop us a line, we are Tanzania travel experts and happy to help with any enquiries.
Is Tanzania a safe country for self-drive?
We occasionally get this question, and the answer is yes. Tanzania is known to be one of the safest and most stable countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Armed attacks and violence towards travelers is unheard of. We would have gone into the self-drive car rental business in a country where it's not safe!
Nevertheless, we trust you to travel sensibly.That means taking the following precautions:
- Always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food.
- When you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is.
- Always park your car at a private parking lot.
- Do not go wild camping
- Do not travel after dark (6PM) and why would you want to anyway? Fellow road users often drive without lights or put on their high beams so you can't see a thing.
- The biggest mistake travelers make is wanting to cover too much in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to assess if your travel plans are realistic.