In this section, you'll find all the practical information you need, to visit the national parks and wildlife management Areas of Tanzania on an independent self-drive safari.
Check our Destination Guide Tanzania, for inspiration and tips on what to do and where to stay in the must visit parks of Tanzania. Included in this section:
- TANAPA park entrance fees
- Wildlife Management Areas & fees
- How to obtain your park permits for Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Natron and other national parks in Tanzania
How much are the park fees in Tanzania?
TANAPA manages the Tanzanian National Parks. Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Lake Natron are managed by separate organisations.
The TANAPA entry fees as of 2020/ 2021 are as follows:
A. Gombe Stream- $118
B. Mahale- $ 94.40
C. Kilimanjaro - $82.60
D. Serengeti- $70.80
E. Nyere National Park (formerly Selous Game Reserve) - $59
C. Arusha, Tarangire and Lake Manyara - $53.10
D. Mikumi, Ruaha, Rubondo Island, Saadani, Mkomazi, Udzungwa Mountains, Katavi - $35.40
Fees are quoted per person including VAT, per single entry up to 24 hours.
Further TANAPA fees
- Vehicle entry fee for your locally registered Roadtrip Tanzania rental car is 23,600 TSH ($10) for the RAV4 and 41,300 TSH ($20) per day for the Landcruiser, valid for multiple entry.
- Public campsites managed by TANAPA cost $ 35.40 per person/night. Special campsites costs $59 per person/night.
- If you are staying in a lodge or private mobile camp inside the TANAPA national parks, you also need to pay an one time concession fees. These are $ 59 / person / night for the Serengeti, $ 47.20 for class C parks and $ 35.40 for Gombe and class D parks. Check with the accomodation that you have booked, if the concession fees are included in their price.
The fee for the Ngorongoro Conservation Area is $70.80 per person per 24 hours, plus the vehicle fee as mentioned above. If you are planning to visit the Serengeti and are only in transit through the NCA, you still have to pay the NCA fee twice: on your way going to the Serengeti and on your way returning from the Serengeti. If you want to enter the crater for a game drive in the Ngorongoro crater, you have to pay the additional Crater Service Fee of $295 per vehicle each time you go down the crater. Read more about how much to budget for your Ngorongoro Safari drive in our Destination Guide, here.
Gombe National Park additional fees
Gombe Stream National Park, located on the western border of Tanzania on the tropical Lake Tanganyika, is the best park in Tanzania to spot chimps. Also, hiking through the lush forest and swimming in the crystal clear lake are popular activities here. It's a real off the beaten track experience, but comes at a price. Apart from the above mentioned entrance and concession fees, you'll have to budget for the boat ride. You can't take your Tanzania rental car into Gombe Stream National Park. You park your vehicle at Kigoma and take a boat. This costs $ 354 per boat, taking up to 11 people. Tanzania is probably the only country in the world where also a ''waiting fee'' is charged of $ 23,60 pp. One might think if a discount for waiting wouldn't be more appropriate..?
Wildlife Management Areas in Tanzania
Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) are countrywide conservation areas, established to benefit and help local communities throughout Tanzania. You can read more about these areas and their benefits here.
These areas are different from National Parks, Conservation Areas, and Game Reserves. Therefore, they have their own fees and regulations.
You can expect the following entry and vehicle fees:
• Entrance adult (''wildlife activity fee''): $11.80 per day.
• Entrance child (5-17 years): $5.90 per day. Kids below 5 years free of charge
• Vehicle entrance fee: 17.700 TSH per day
• Camping fee for adult when staying at a public campsite: $ 23.60 per night.
• Camping fee for child (5-17) when staying at a public campsite: $11.80 per night. Kids below 5 years free of charge.
• If you are staying at a lodge, there is a bednight levy also called ''concession fee'' to be paid: $17.70 for adults and children over 5. This is charged per night. Check with your accomodation if this concession fee is included in their rates or not.
Lake Natron lies in a Wildlife Management Area. There are village fees which need to paid on the road to Natron. There are three separate gates and the costs will be $15 + $15 + $10 per person. The village fees are paid in cash on arrival to the gates in either US Dollars or Tanzanian Shillings, and are not covered by the WMA permit nor your lodge.
Please see the most common Wildlife Management Areas listed below as well as the lodges and campsites included in these conservation areas. If you are staying at a lodge or campsite listed below, WMA fees will apply:
Areas around Tarangire National Park (Burunge & Sangaiwe)
• Whistling Thorn Tented Camp (considered part of Olasiti WMA)
• Tarangire Roika Lodge (considered part of Kakoi WMA)
• Lake Burunge Tented Lodge
• Maramboi Tented Lodge
• Tarangire River Camp
• Tarangire Osupuko
• Tarangire Simba Lodge
• Sangaiwe Tented Camp
Area around Lake Manyara National Park (Losirwa Wildlife Management Area)
Lake Natron (Engaresero Wildlife Management Area or Lake Natron Game Controlled Area)
West Kilimanjaro (Enduiment Wildlife Management Area)
How do I arrange my park entrance fees?
Permits are paid at the entrance gate by credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Cash is NOT accepted; neither are debit cards.
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
For the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA), you will need to obtain an entrance quote first, before going to the park gate to actually pay for park entry. The NCA office is based in Arusha and Karatu and open from Monday - Friday. It is not possible to get an NCA entrance quote online. Roadtrip Tanzania will be happy to arrange the Ngorongoro quote on your behalf. This option is included in the online reservation form when you book a car with us.
Wildlife Management Areas
All WMA fees must be paid for and arranged in advance before your arrival at any of the lodges or campsites listed below. Roadtrip Tanzania can assist you to arrange these permits when you stop by our office in Arusha. The permits are than payable at our office by creditcard ( Visa or Mastercard). This is an option you can select in the bookings form when you book a car with us. Alternatively, you can arrange these permits yourself. You need to go to the Wildlife Management Area head office in Arusha town with your accommodation details and they will provide you a quote to pay. You will go to a local bank and deposit the money into the WMA account and then return to the head office to collect your WMA permit.