Preparing for your Tanzania roadtrip
In this section, you'll find lots of practical information and frequently asked questions related to self-drive and independent travel in Tanzania. Can't find the answer to your question here? Drop us a line, we are Tanzania travel experts and happy to help with any enquiries.
Ready to design your travel itineary and wondering what to do in Tanzania? Than continue to our Tanzania Travel Guide for lots of inspiration, covering highlights and hidden gems in Tanzania.
Is Tanzania a safe country for self-drive?
We occasionally get this question, and the answer is yes. Tanzania is known to be one of the safest and most stable countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Armed attacks and violence towards travelers is unheard of. We would have gone into the self-drive car rental business in a country where it's not safe!
Nevertheless, we trust you to travel sensibly. That means taking the following precautions:
- Always travel with cash, a charged phone with airtime, enough water and some food.
- When you fuel up your car, know where the next gas station is.
- Always park your car at a private parking lot.
- Do not go wild camping
- Do not travel after dark (6 PM) and why would you want to anyway? Fellow road users often drive without lights or put on their high beams so you can't see a thing.
- The biggest mistake travelers make is wanting to cover too much in one trip. Travel is a great deal slower than you are probably used to, and being on the road is much more tiresome. Use one of our suggested routes as a starting point to assess if your travel plans are realistic.