Which car to rent for safari in Uganda?
In Uganda, we have two types of Landcruisers in our fleet. The Troopy Model is the perfect car to take on game rides with family or a group of friends. This model has six window seats. The rooftop lifts to give you a full 360-degree view of the vehicle. No wildlife can go unnoticed from this viewpoint!
The pop-up roof is not compatible with a rooftop tent. If you plan to go camping in Uganda, we recommend renting the Troopy with dome tents instead. The vehicle's booth is quite small, so we remove the last row of seats to create more storage space inside the car for camping gear. This reduces the car's seating capacity to four people instead of six.
Read our spec sheet and know what to expect when renting our Landcruiser in Uganda.
Toyota Landcruiser - Troopy specifications
Kindly note that while we ensure that our vehicles are well-maintained, they are not new. As a result, the driving comfort and quality of features, such as the audio, may not be comparable to what you might experience in a new car you drive at home or rent in Southern Africa. The roads in Uganda are not as well-maintained as those in Southern Africa, which are generally better suited for self-drive and cause less wear and tear on the vehicles.
You will not find a new Landcruiser for hire in Uganda. The classic Landcruisers you see on the roads in Uganda can be twenty years old, but don't let this fool you. It's for a good reason - they are extremely powerful and reliable, and with no electronics, made for slower travel in the bush.
- Model: Toyota Landcruiser 75/78.
- Capacity: Six window seats. When camping, the vehicle can accommodate four persons with camp gear and luggage.
- Gearbox: Manual.
- Engine: 1HZ 6-cylinder engine.
- Tank capacity: 2x 80 Litre.
- Fuel: Diesel.
- Fuel consumption: 7-8 km/L.
- 4Wheel Drive: Differs per vehicle. How to engage the 4WD is explained in the practical information booklet in your vehicle.
- Spare tyres: 2.
- Tyre pressure: Depending on the number of people and load, 30 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back. You don’t need to do anything further with this. The tyre pressure comes well-adjusted.
The interior and tools
- Pop-up roof: Yes, the pop-up roof can’t be used anymore when a rooftop tent is mounted.
- Inverter: No.
- Dual battery (for fridge): Yes.
- Water tank: No.
- A/C: No. The reason is that the A/C can get blocked easily as a result of the bumpy and dusty roads, and it's very challenging to fix this in the bush. Drive with your windows open.
- Audio: Radio with small speakers, a USB, and an audio port. Bring your own audio cable (mini jack) to play music from your phone.
- Booth: The booth is small. We advise you to pack your luggage in soft duffle bags as they pack easier than suitcases. If your travel group is six, you will store some bags between the seats inside the car. In case you go camping, the vehicle can accommodate four persons with camp gear and luggage.
- Rooftop tent: This vehicle can support one rooftop tent.
- Tools: Wheel spanner, towing rope, spade, jumper cables, high lift jack, and small jack.
- Extras: Bradt Travel Guide, roadmap, and practical information manual.
Would you like to hire a Landcruiser Troopy for your safari game drives in Uganda? We recommend checking the availability of the car several weeks in advance and even several months ahead during peak season.
Contact us, or fill out the booking form here.