Which car to rent for safari in Uganda
In Uganda we have two types of Landcruisers in our fleet. The Troopy Model is the perfect car to take on game rides with family or group of friends. This model has six window seats. The roof top lifts to give you a full 360 degree view around the vehicle. No wildlife can go unnoticed from this viewpoint!
The Troopy can also be equipped with a rooftop tent, but then you can no longer use the pop up roof. So in case you like to take the car on a camping trip, we advise to rent the Troopy with dome tents. The booth of this vehicle is really small. If you go camping, we take out the last row of seats to create more storage space inside the car. In that case, the car can seat four people instead of six.
Read our specification sheet and know what to expect when renting a car from Roadtrip Africa.
Please take note that our vehicles are well maintained but NOT new, so the driving comfort and quality of the audio or A/C is not comparable to a new car you might drive at home or have rented in Southern Africa, where the roads tend to be in better condition and are very accommodating for self-drive, therefore putting much less wear and tear on the vehicles.
You will not find new Landcruiser for hire in Uganda. The classic Landcruisers you see on the roads in Uganda can be twenty years old, but don't let this fool you. It's for good reason - as they are extremely power-full and indestructible, and with no electronics, made for slower travel in the bush.
Toyota Landcruiser Troopy Specifications
- Model: Toyota Landcruiser 75/78
- Year of Manufacture: 1997 - 2008
- Capacity: Six window seats. When camping, the vehicle can accommodate 4 persons with camp gear and luggage
- Gearbox: Manual
- Engine: 1HZ 6 cylinder engine
- Tank capacity: 2x 80 Litre
- Fuel consumption: 7-8 km /L.
- 4Wheel Drive: Differs per vehicle. How to engage the 4WD is explained in the practical information booklet in your vehicle.
- Spare tyres: 2
- Tyre pressure: Depending on number of people and load, 30 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back. You don’t need to do anything further with this. The tyre pressure comes well adjusted.
The interior and tools
- Pop up roof: Yes, The pop up roof can’t be used anymore when a rooftop tent is mounted.
- Inverter: No
- Water tank: No
- A/C: No. Reason being that the A/C can get blocked easily as a result of the bumpy and dusty roads, and it's very challenging to fix this in the bush. Drive with your windows open.
- Audio: Radio with small speakers and USB and audio port. Bring your own audio cable to play music from your phone.
- Boot: the boot is small. We advise to pack your luggage in soft duffle bags as they pack easier than suitcases. If your travel group is six, you will store some bags between the seats inside the car. In case you go camping, the vehicle can accommodate 4 persons with camp gear and luggage. We take out the 5th and 6th seat to create extra space.
- Tools: Wheel spanner, towing rope, jumper cables, high-lift jack.
- Extras: Bradt Travel Guide, roadmap, Roadtrip Uganda's practical information manual.
Do you know which car to rent for your safari in Uganda? Check availability and get in touch by filling out the bookings form here.