Travel Madagascar - Practical Information Guide
Exploring Madagascar independently by car is great fun, but we also know that planning a trip can be a bit overwhelming.
Before you head off, we recommend taking a moment to read through our Madagascar travel guide. We have selected 12 important topics that contain information, practical tips and frequently asked questions about self-driving and independent travel in Madagascar.
Ready to design your itinerary and wondering what places to visit in Madagascar? Then consult our Madagascar Travel Blog. Here you'll find our destination guides on places to visit and things to do in Madagascar.
12 things to keep in mind when travelling to Madagascar
- Driving in Madagascar - Find out about safety, road conditions, insurance coverage, which SIM card to buy, what to do in case of a breakdown - and much, much more.
- Planning your Madagascar trip - Forget about Google Maps. Check our road trip planner with realistic driving times & distances to all the major places of interest in Madagascar, so you can design a great and feasible travel itinerary.
- 4x4 car rental with driver- Doubting whether to go on a self-drive holiday or use the services of a local knowledgeable driver-guide? We discuss what to expect when hiring a car from Roadtrip Africa in Madagascar with a driver-guide, and give you a few tips to help you decide what suits you best.
- Find out about restricted travel areas in Madagascar or specific areas which can only be explored when travelling with a driver-guide.
- National Parks of Madagascar - Don't miss out on Madagascar's most beautiful national parks during your travels. Find an overview of the costs in our extensive guide, and read more on how to arrange your permits.
- Madagascar Hotel Guide - A full list of some of our favourite lodges in Madagascar, ranging from budget-friendly to luxurious.
- Camping in Madagascar - Want to sleep under the stars? Find out what gear you'll need and what else to think about when camping in Madagascar.
- Best time to visit Madagascar - We understand that you might need help choosing the best time to visit Madagascar. Find out all about dry season, rainy season, peak season and low season.
- Madagascar entry requirements - Important information about entering Madagascar and the type of visa you'll need.
- Money & travel budget - Find out how to handle money in Madagascar and receive an indication of a realistic daily travel budget.
- Responsible travel - We understand you might want to give away goodies or help locals while travelling. Read more about responsible travel in Madagascar and find out what really helps.
- Safety - "Is Madagascar a safe travel destination?" - a question we get asked frequently. We'll tell you all about safety in Madagascar and what to keep in mind when travelling.
Preparing for your trip to Madagascar, and can't find the answer to your question in the planning guide? Just contact our team at Roadtrip Africa. We're experts on self-drive holidays and travel in Madagascar, and we're always happy to help.